Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Judas Puppets

You think you're in control but you don't know me, babe.

Photo by Eliot Lee Hazel

Röyksopp can do no wrong. As far as I'm concerned this is is a fact; so don't fight me on it. For starters, they're Norwegian. By now you should all know my Scandophilia (obsession with all things Scandinavian--but especially people), and so by default the duo are virtually infallible in my eyes. But nevermind their ethnicity, the most obvious example of their prowess is in their flawless productions--both original and remixes. These guys can do anything; delicate and whimsical love songs, experimental ambient tracks, melodic slow burners, and glittering disco powerhouses. They're so good at their game that they managed to take what might just be my least favorite track of 2011--Lady Gaga's Judas--and turned it into a staple of all my summer playlists. With the Röyksopp touch, Judas isn't just bearable, it's almost incredible.

Judas - Lady Gaga


Also on my speakers for the past few months has been their remix of Depeche Mode's classic 1981 song, Puppets. The song is a cut off Depeche Mode's new Remixes 2 album, which was released June 6. Royksopp's reworking of the dark 80s new wave sound is masterful, the end product is a shimmering, striding electronic pop, unsettling in its lyrical content while proving to be so crazy catchy you can't help but sing along. I can't recommend this tune enough. Like I said, Röyksopp are it. If you aren't convinced by now...well...godspeed.

Puppets (Röyksopp Remix) - Depeche Mode


Connect with LOOSE L!PS
Like on Facebook // Follow on the Hype Machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment