Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Raise Your Weapon (Madeon Remix)

I used to have so many rules for this blog about what I 'could' and 'could not' post. The longer it's been around (technically we had our year anniversary the other day though I really only consider it about 6 months old), and the more I do this whole 'running a music blog' thing, the more I find myself adopting a "whateva whateva, I'll do what I want" attitude. For example, bangers. Perhaps better known as Bang0rz. I used to have a strict no-banger policy. But you know what? Bangers can be awesome. In fact they can be life-changing. (That is, if you're on enough ecstasy.) And recently, I've been pressing 'repeat' on my fair share. So here's me saying "fuck it;" rules were made to be broken.

Raise Your Weapon (Madeon Remix) - Deadmau5


I've had this on repeat for the past week. I used to be really into Deadmau5, but then abandoned my prog roots for disco leanings. Now I'm being entranced back via the exciting remix work of Madeon, a 16 (maybe 17 now?) year-old wunderkind from France, who has been absolutely blowing up every song he's put his froggy fingers to over the past six months. This is especially thrilling because his sound and style remind me a LOT of Phonat, an Italian and perhaps one of the worlds greatest (and most underrated) house producers. They share a unique ability to craft house music that is progressive without being obnoxious, with a penchant for choppy, glitching treble and stomping bass. After flying under the radar for the past year, Phonat recently released a remix of Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. I was hoping it would be the thing to prove me wrong about Skrillex, but unfortunately the piece fell exceptionally flat. It seems then that Madeon is now doing Phonat better than Phonat himself.
Oh well, at least one of them is.

If you don't have the Madeon remix of Deadmau5' Raise Your Weapon yet (it was all over the internet so you might), be sure to get it now, and check out one of Phonat's older (also banging) masterpieces, Set Me Free.

Set Me Free (Extended Mix) - Phonat

No comments:

Post a Comment