Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Old Age

Photo by Johan Rosenmunthe

I have to say, I don't listen to a lot of hip hop - I really wish I did. Regardless, I'm a big fan of all things Anticon Records. And I don't know how it slipped past me, but there's a big release coming from the Oakland-based, hip-hop centric label. Finally, there's a new 13 & God record on the way, and it's coming out next week. It's only been six years since we've heard anything from the electronic/hip hop supergroup. The collaboration continues between Themselves' underground hip hop and the electronic, indie-rock crooners from Germany - The Notwist. Old Age is the first single from new record Own Your Ghost, and it's a great indication of how the finished product will sound. It may be a little lighter than the heavy atmosphere of the 2005 release. The track is more or less like a Notwist song on steroids - the beats more refined and prominent, and Markus Acher's vocals definitely revitalized since The Notwist's 2008 release. The Devil, You + Me. Old Age is another great addition to the incoming slew of summertime songs. It's warm, upbeat and I can't get enough. It's an absolutely refreshing feeling to hear material from either side of 13 & God's coin. I'm just glad to be hearing it like this.

Old Age - 13 & God

No comments:

Post a Comment