Friday, March 25, 2011

Dystopia

"The Earth is on fire."

To be honest, I had never heard Oregon's YACHT until I got a promotional email about them earlier today. In a rare display of timeliness, I listened to the track within a few minutes of receiving it…and oh my goodness. How had I not heard this group before?? Their first single off their upcoming album Shangri-La (out June 21st on DFA Records), Dystopia, is nothing short of kickass. I fell in love a mere 8 seconds into the song, when singer Claire Evans spits, "Let the motherfucker burn." Then entered a funky, bouncing synth line, and the case was closed. YACHT describes Dystopia as a 'post-apocalyptic fight song', which is quite appropriate given the nature of the minimalistic synths and marching drum line serving to highlight the addictive, all-too-timely lyrics. If all of YACHT's songs are this good, I have some serious catching up to do. If you're like me and were previously unfamiliar with the band, be sure to go check them out.

Dystopia--YACHT

No comments:

Post a Comment