Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Belong

Photo by Timothy Keen

I’ll admit, before I started writing for this blog, I had lost touch with new music. I’d listen to some new stuff here or there, but not like years back when I was up to date by the hour. In my post-college years, I fell into the safety net of ‘90s post-punk and straight up alternative. I think I used it as a security blanket, trying to steer clear of super loud, noise-rock stuff like Health, Wavves and bands I didn’t (and still don’t) quite get. Now that I’ve trekked back into the land of the more adventurous sound, I’ve found a lot of amazing bands that I can wrap my head around. It’s awesome to see shoegaze back in full effect, and no one has piqued my interest in its resurrection than The Pains of Being Pure at Heart.

The New York-based indie rockers take me back into the latter part of the 20th century, even if it's only for the four-minute span of new song “Belong.” The title track to the band’s new record (out this week on Slumberland) opens up with a sound that could fit right in on The Jesus & Mary Chain’s Honey’s Dead or easily exist as a B-side from The Smiths. The quick introduction of heavier, buzzing guitars in the chorus and fills invokes My Bloody Valentine and Smashing Pumpkins. There’s definitely a lot of rad influences going on in the song. Still, what Belong boils down to that The Pains of Being Pure at Heart aren’t really ripping anything off – they just know the right bands to channel to make a track that totally rules.

The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - Belong by Slumberland Records

1 comment:

Selorm said...

THIS IS VERY COOL!!!! I imagine what a rap would sound like over the music. Don't ask me why. And dont feel bad, after college its not always easy to be up on the new shit...

Post a Comment