Monday, January 24, 2011

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Photo by Agustin Casasola

With everyone up in arms about the new Starfucker album (which really is quite good, stream songs on their bandcamp here), I think this is an appropriate time to ask a question that’s been plaguing me for ages. What is with that name, guys? You aren’t a metal band, you make spirited and accessible indie pop. Hearing your music I’d think more “StarCuddler.” It’s not that I have a problem with curse words—clearly, as I use many of them—but how am I ever supposed to reference the band in public? For example, when my dear old grandma asks me, “What are you kids listening to these days?” am I expected to respond with, “oh, just this awesome group called StarFUCKER”? Or when my dad reads this post because he thinks it makes him hip (hi dad), is he supposed to go into work telling the office they have GOT to listen to these StarFUCKER guys? And does the band really think I’m going to take the time in conversation to spell out their more politically correct abbreviation, S-T-R-F-K-R? Answer: I’m not.
So what am I to do?

I’m going to have to figure it out soon, because Starfucker are rising higher and higher on my radar and I’m finding myself itching to tell everyone I know about them. Their new album Reptilians comes out in March on Polyvinyl, you can pre-order it here and get instant mp3 gratification. It sees the band embracing a more electronic sound while staying true to their glorious pop rock roots. I’ve had a few of the songs on near-constant repeat (note this week’s L!P ST!CK), so despite the troublesome name I’ve got to give credit when it’s due: These guys are great. Let’s hope they remember where they came from (Oregon, yes, but I mean musically), as their past work was just as fun. Released in 2009, their cover of Cyndi Lauper via Robert Hazard’s Girls Just Want to Have Fun is one of my all time favorite covers-of-a-cover. Their version subtracts the 80’s, adds a funky bass, and is all-around genius. I want to hate you Starfucker, but I can’t. I guess grandma is just going to have to deal.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper Cover)--Starfucker

1 comment:

Dustin said...

Yeah S********r (thanks itunes) is pretty cool. Go Portland! I think they even changed their named for a little while to Pyramiddd or something. I'm curious about the new album, nice to hear they're keeping the electro pop sound.

Post a Comment