Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sherman

"I feel the cool water washing over me...
I dream of all the places that I'd rather be."

Painting by Becca Mann

Having to work on this year’s Record Store Day was definitely a drag. Since I knew I wouldn’t be able to stand in line and participate, I didn’t even take much time to look and see what kind of goodies would be out this year. Maybe it was the limited rerelease of Jimmy Eat World’s Bleed American on vinyl that overshadowed anything else for me (I really wanted to call out sick from work to snag a copy). Still, I don’t know how I missed a new 7-inch release by one of my favorite bands, San Diego’s Pinback.

Information Released Pt. A is a taste of what’s to come from the band’s planned 2012 release, and features an awesome track called Sherman. The song’s feel is somewhere between the awesome Blue Screen Life and the equally remarkable Summer in Abaddon. Pinback are known for crafting great hooks for their indie pop and rock sound, and even though sometimes their songs can feel similar, it always seems to work. That being said, the duo has done it again on Sherman; it’s yet another pretty song that definitely follows the safe formula. The band’s arrangements are always so melodic, almost math-rock driven at times. What I like most about Sherman is that it’s perfect for summer. I feel like if bands played underwater, it would sound just like this.


Sherman - Pinback by LOOSE L!PS

No comments:

Post a Comment